- Open daily from dawn to dusk
- Self Guided
- Patriots Week
- Street parking
Trenton Battle Monument
348 North Warren Street , Trenton , NJ 08625
The Trenton Battle Monument designed by John J. Duncan is an early example of the Beaux Arts style architecture commemorating the American victory at the first Battle of Trenton on December 26, 1776. The 148-foot triumphal column made of granite sits on a large base decorated with acanthus leaves and features a ring of stars crowned by an observation platform. The monument is situated in a small round pavilion featuring a pedestal with a statue of General George Washington and two bronze statues of Continental soldiers flanking the entrance. The base of the monument is adorned with three bronze plaques depicting Washington's army crossing the Delaware River, the opening of the Battle of Trenton, and the surrender of the Hessians.
The monument is located within the “Five Points” neighborhood of Trenton where the Continental troops placed their artillery at the intersection of North Broad Street, Warren Street, Brunswick Avenue, Pennington Avenue, and Princeton Avenue. From this vantage point, the Americans prevented the Hessian troops from organizing an effective counter attack throughout that cold and snowy night in 1776.
WHAT TO SEE AND DO
- See the monument commemorating Washington’s triumphant victory
- Visit the Old Barracks Museum to learn more about the Battle of Trenton and the New Jersey State Museum to see the original bronze plaques depicting the battle
Journey through Jersey strives to have the most up-to-date information, but always check with the site itself before planning a visit.