- visits must be scheduled 2 weeks in advance
- April - Oct: Wednesdays, 2nd & 4th Saturday of the month, 10 am - 1 pm
- Nov - Mar: Wednesdays & 2nd Saturdays, 10 am - 1 pm
Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst/Navy Lakehurst Heritage Center
Joint Base Lakehurst Hangar One, Lakehurst, NJ 08733
The Navy Lakehurst Historical Society preserves and interprets the story of Naval Air Station Lakehurst, a site where many rigid airships, known as blimps or dirigibles, were built in the 1920s and 1930s. The air station was also the location where the Navy trained pilots and crew to fly and operate these large aircraft. Lakehurst is most famous as the site of the crash of the Hindenburg in May 1937. The site is located on an active military base, visitors must make appointment at least two weeks in advance for access. Call the number listed above or email [email protected].
WHAT TO SEE AND DO
- Tour the Heritage Center
- Visit the Cathedral of the Air
- See the site of the Hindenburg disaster
- Visit Hangar #1
- Tour the Ready Room and the POW/ MIA room
Journey through Jersey strives to have the most up-to-date information, but always check with the site itself before planning a visit.