- Open by appointment and during scheduled events
- Guided tours
- Open for private rental and public events
- Private and/or group tours and bus tours by appointment
- Educational programming
- Off street parking
Van Horne House
941 East Main Street, Bridgewater, NJ 08807
The Van Horne House, also known as Phil’s Hill, was built in 1754 by Phillip Van Horne, a Bridgewater merchant who was known to entertain both American and British guests, earning his estate the nickname Convivial Hall. One of the five houses known as “The Five Generals Houses” in Somerset County, the house served as headquarters for American Generals Benjamin Lincoln and William Alexander until the Battle of Bound Brook in 1777, when Lincoln narrowly avoided being captured. After the battle, the house became a British outpost.
The period styled house is now the headquarters of the Heritage Trail Association, offering a series of programs such as narrated bus tours, lectures and speakers, guided tours, scout tours, and more. In addition, the Van Horne house is available for rent to the public and businesses for special events.
WHAT TO SEE AND DO
- Attend a special event and take a guided tour of the house
- Hop aboard a luxury bus for the Middlebrook Five Generals Tour to visit the five remaining houses headquartered by Revolutionary generals
Journey through Jersey strives to have the most up-to-date information, but always check with the site itself before planning a visit.