- Museum open open by appointment
- Gardens open every day from 9 am-5 pm
- Guided or self-guided museum tours
- Touch Tour stations throughout period rooms
- Rotating exhibitions in two galleries
- Educational program for pre-k to high school
- Biennial Historic District House Tour fundraiser
- Year-round lectures, concerts, and poetry readings
- Guided tours
- Self-guided tours
- Tour Touch Tour Stations in period rooms
- Two-hour street parking
- ADA accessible site
- Museum gift shop
- Adults - $8
- Seniors and students over 12 - $6
- Children 6-12 - $4
- Members and children under 5 - Free
- Garden tour - Free
- Participates in the following Free Admission programs: North American Reciprocal Museum Association, Families First Discovery Pass Program, Museums For All, and Blue Star Museums
Macculloch Hall Historical Museum
45 Macculloch Avenue, Morristown, NJ 07960
Macculloch Hall has been part of the local community for over 200 years, first as a home to George and Louisa Macculloch, and since 1950, as a non-profit museum and garden known as Macculloch Hall Historical Museum. The Federal-style brick mansion is located on a 26-acre gentleman’s farm originally purchased by George Macculloch, a businessman, scholar, and visionary best known for creating the Morris Canal. Today, the museum is renowned for its major collection of works by 19th century American cartoonist Thomas Nast who popularized the Republican Elephant, Democratic Donkey, and America’s image of Santa Claus. The museum boasts nine period rooms, two exhibition galleries, a dedicated classroom, and expansive formal garden. The Garden Club of Morristown worked to revive the historic landscape in the 1950s and still assists with its upkeep today.
WHAT TO SEE AND DO
- Check out the property’s gardens that feature New Jersey’s second oldest and largest sassafras tree.
- Attend an educational program, lecture, concert or poetry reading on site.
Journey through Jersey strives to have the most up-to-date information, but always check with the site itself before planning a visit.