- Monday-Friday, 11:15 am-4 pm
- Saturday, 11:45 am-4 pm
- Closed on Sunday
- 45-minute guided house tours from 11 am-4:15 pm
- Themes change every year; examples include Victorian consumer culture, merchandising, advertising, retailing and American industrialization
- Free on-site parking
- RV friendly
- Fully accessible first floor
- Air conditioned
- For guided or self-guided tours: Adults - $12, Children (ages 3-12) - $8, Free for children under three
Emlen Physick Estate
1048 Washington Street, Cape May, NJ 08204
The Emlen Physick Estate offers visitors a look back at our nation’s Victorian past. As the grandson of Dr. Philip Syng Physick – regarded as the father of American surgery – Emlen Physick inherited the family estate after his father’s death in 1859. In 1876, 20-year-old Emlen arrived in Cape May and purchased 11 acres of property along Washington Street, where he built a carriage house and 18-room mansion. The house was designed by renowned Victorian architect Frank Furness and considered rather avant garde for the time period. Emlen also owned two tenant farms and kept livestock at the estate. Following his death in 1916, the estate passed through several owners and fell into disrepair. A group of concerned citizens formed the Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts (MAC) in 1970 and succeeded in getting the city of Cape May to acquire the property in 1973. It is currently home to the MAC group.
WHAT TO SEE AND DO
- Attend one of the estate’s many year-round programs, including the Spring Celebration in April and May; Hops Festival in July; Craft Beer and Crab Festival in August; Harvest Festival in September; Victorian Weekend in October; Sherlock Holmes Weekend in November; and the Christmas and holiday weekend celebrations throughout December.
- Enjoy a traditional tea luncheon, afternoon tea or cafe fare at the Carriage House on property
- Visit the home’s original eight outbuildings and gardens
Journey through Jersey strives to have the most up-to-date information, but always check with the site itself before planning a visit.